Tuesday, December 26, 2017

If I had a Time Machine, what could I do with it?

Imagine how much priceless information I could get with a device like that.

I could go into the future and learn the set of numbers that I should select in the present for winning a $100 Million Dollar Jackpot.

I could also ace every history test I could take by witnessing the big events personally.

Imagine if I could go back in time to the see Jesus Christ with mine own eyes and come back and describe Him perfectly.

Yes, having a time machine that actually worked would give me countless huge advantages off limits to everybody else.

And then, being the curious Christian that I am, I could satisfy a major point that I've been pondering for some time. You see? It's like this:

Most atheists and agnostics tend to attribute their inability to believe in God, a personal person, a faithful companion, to their inability to see him with their own eyes.

Here's where the time machine comes in.

I'd like to run a survey of people in a big city but not now, rather, I'd go back to a time shortly before the invention of the microscope. I'd ask them if they believe that germs exist.

I liken the atheist's and the agnostic's inability to believe in God to the possible inabiity of common people to believe in the existence of germs during a time in which these critters just weren't visible to peoples' eyes because the technology, the microscope, to see them with, wasn't around yet.

I wonder how many of those people who would have said that microscopic beings, germs or bacteria, didn't exist because they couldn't see them. Of course, now you have these humongous multimillion dollar microscopes hooked up to powerful computers in which a big monitor shows those germs in great detail.

Anyhow, doing such a survey today is totally impractical because every big city hospital lab and university has a powerful industrial strength microscope as part of its basic equipment. But back then, before it was invented, when the idea of such a device was as much fantasy as the fantasies I've daydreamed about when I was a kid.

Like Jesus told Doubting Thomas, blessed is He who sees not but believes.



No comments:

Post a Comment